JACKSON — The Sun-Sentinel has won 13 awards, including three first-place plaques and second place in the coveted overall “Advertising Excellence” category. Awards, for achievement in the Mississippi Press Association’s 2015 Better Newspaper Contest Advertising Division, were presented Saturday during the association’s Mid-Winter Conference here.
Entries were judged by members of the North Carolina Press Association.
The Advertising Excellence award is the highest honor presented to a newspaper in the MPA contest. Among weekly publications with a circulation below 2,500, The Sun-Sentinel stood between first-place winner The Clarksdale Press Register and third-place finisher The Deer Creek Pilot of Rolling Fork.
Sun-Sentinel Office Manager Krista McFerrin won an individual first-place award for Best Health Care Ad in Color, for an advertising design promoting the sports physicals offered by Tallahatchie General Hospital and Charleston Clinic.
Krista also won first-place honors for Best Retail Ad in Color, for a NAPA Auto Parts ad; and for Best Institutional Ad in Color, for a Gateway to the Delta Festival ad design.
Krista won solo second-place awards for: • Best Series of Ads, for a series headlined, “Exceptional CARE Here at Home,” which she designed for Charleston Clinic and Tallahatchie General Hospital • Best Single Classified Display Ad, for a design she crafted for Tallahatchie General Hospital (an honor she captured in competition with all other state weekly newspapers, regardless of size)
Krista won individual third-place awards for:
• Best Single Magazine Advertisement, for an ad for Oakland Medical Clinic that appeared in The Phone Book by The Sun-Sentinel
• Best Single Classified Display Ad, for Uncle Bam’s Farm (an honor she captured in competition with all other state weekly newspapers, regardless of size)
• Best Political Ad in Color, for an advertisement she designed for Tallahatchie County Chancery Clerk Anita Mullen Greenwood
• Best Health Care Ad in Color, for an ad for Charleston Clinic and Tallahatchie General Hospital
• Best Financial Ad in Color, for a design she created for Tallahatchie County Bank Clay and Krista McFerrin won the following third-place awards for collaborative work:
• Best Advertising Section or Edition on Newsprint, for the 2015 Back to School section • Best Editorial Section or Edition on Newsprint, for the 2015 Football Kickoff section Editorial (news) awards for work published during the 2015 calendar year will be announced at the MPA’s summer convention in June.